I enjoy writing based on relevant and timely personal experience. This past weekend threw me way off balance. It takes me by surprise! I could be going along, making forward progress and then WHAM!, change happens.
Now you might be thinking ‘Goodness this girl is sensitive!’ And I would say ‘Yes, yes I am!’ I believe I am a lot more sensitive than others. One thing is for sure though, sensitivity does not make me weak, it’s just another level I have to work through in my every day.
Five ways to handle spontaneity with grace (which is NOT how I handled it this weekend, by the way):
- Think positive. Yeah, I had a plan of how I wanted the weekend to go and all the awesome things I was going to get to do, but in the moment what I could have done is focus on the good things to come from the new plans. Focusing on the cons is no bueno. Positivity is the healthier option.
- Voice your feelings. Don’t hold it in, talk through your anxiety. I know it was scary for me, and it took a while for me to get to my actual feelings, but my husband was a trooper once I found my voice!
- Let go. Don’t hold onto any expectations too tight. Everything happens for a reason and it’s always good to be open to what experiences have to offer. See where it takes you. I kinda liked where it took me.
- Take a minute. Nothing has to happen right away. Give yourself a few minutes to turn your thinking around.
- Breathe. It’s always good to step back and take a breath.
How do you handle stressful situations? I’d love to hear!